Page MenuHomeMiraheze

Security Review for CentralCheckUser Extension
Closed, DeclinedPublic

Description

find source on github at https://github.com/examknow/CentralCheckUser/tree/master. Remember it is still in beta so if you see something that would improve it, you have my permission to change it.

Event Timeline

Examknow changed the task status from Open to Stalled.Aug 24 2019, 00:40

After Speaking with JohnLewis, I have decided there is more work to be done prior to review. Users are always welcome to help though.

Void added a subscriber: Void.Aug 24 2019, 03:14

I'll be taking a more in-depth look at this extension in two days or so, but I did notice that there are a few typos in the extension.json file.

Reception123 triaged this task as Normal priority.Aug 24 2019, 05:45
Reception123 added a subscriber: Reception123.
RhinosF1 added a comment.EditedAug 24 2019, 09:18
In T4672#88858, @Void wrote:

I'll be taking a more in-depth look at this extension in two days or so, but I did notice that there are a few typos in the extension.json file.

I'm going to try and spin up a test Mediawiki instance using the Miraheze config where possible and have a look soon

Void added a comment.Aug 26 2019, 03:30

Currently, the extension still needs a lot of work. As it stands, it functions like the existing CheckUser extension (not globally), except it uses a different table in the database. However, it took me about an hour to figure out how to get it working at all. There are a number of edits that still need to be made where the code references the wrong DB tables and columns, as well as other problems.

I've decided to investigate an alternative method of doing this that can be done without creating more database tables, or at least, not duplicating the existing cu_changes table.

In T4672#88988, @Void wrote:

Currently, the extension still needs a lot of work. As it stands, it functions like the existing CheckUser extension (not globally), except it uses a different table in the database. However, it took me about an hour to figure out how to get it working at all. There are a number of edits that still need to be made where the code references the wrong DB tables and columns, as well as other problems.

I've decided to investigate an alternative method of doing this that can be done without creating more database tables, or at least, not duplicating the existing cu_changes table.

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T212779 might be of interest

If anyone finds a better option I am all ears

RhinosF1 renamed this task from Security Reveiw for GlobalCheckUser Extension to Security Reveiw for CentralCheckUser Extension.Oct 10 2019, 15:20
RhinosF1 updated the task description. (Show Details)
Examknow renamed this task from Security Reveiw for CentralCheckUser Extension to Security Review for CentralCheckUser Extension.Nov 19 2019, 02:45
Paladox moved this task from Backlog to Review Needed on the Extensions board.Apr 9 2020, 00:06
Void closed this task as Declined.Jul 3 2020, 18:23
Void claimed this task.

Boldly declining, no functional implementation of a GlobalCheckUser exists, and likely won't exist for some time.