Most of the communication currently takes place in the -staff IRC channel, with occasional use of email. However, goals, questions and issues of all kinds of priorities and teams (not all discussion is SRE specific). There are no regular meetings planned to discuss the status of goals, performance and incident reports, thus we cannot ensure all SRE members are aware of important highlights and events that took place. A regular SRE meeting (once per fixed time interval, with the ability to reschedule if desired) with the proper communication methods helps to keep knowledge of current state (and progess/to-dos) aligned within SRE.
Besides that, especially in our environment full of volunteers, it is of upmost importance to have one-to-one meetings (between team member and director). To have a conversation about the impact of Miraheze to daily life and vice versa (the successes and the downsides), providing a place to rant and mention frustrations and other topics that are not specific for the team but its members individually. These meetings are not to 'bother' people about SRE's progresses and financial figures, but are focussed on their individual wellbeing and performance.
- Determine meeting type
- Whole team: all types of tasks and information in one meeting or separate (one for decision making, one purely for information, etc.)
- Individual (one-to-one)
- Determine meeting objectives (why do we meet?)
- Evaluate communication platforms and methods
- Method: chat only, audio call or video call?
- IRC? Discord? Telephone call? Jitsi?
- Choose frequency and length of meetings
- Frequency: whole team bi-weekly, individual monthly?
- Length: no more than 1.5 hours for whole team, about an hour for individual?
- How-to for agenda
- Example: team determines the agenda points, sends proposal to SRE director, SRE director uses input to create the agenda and distributes it beforehand