Page MenuHomeMiraheze

Images not updating to their new version
Open, NormalPublic

Description

I got some images that despite being updated a few days ago, still won't appear properly. Instead the old version displays.

These being

https://idleon.info/wiki/File:Goblin_Gorfest_Totem.gif
https://idleon.info/wiki/File:Acorn_Assault_Totem.gif
and
https://idleon.info/wiki/File:Frigid_Soul.png (though this one is a bit more recent)

Could you please look into this? Far from the first time this has happened and it drives me nuts every time. :(

Event Timeline

Bukkit triaged this task as Normal priority.Jun 11 2021, 17:50
Bukkit added projects: MediaWiki, MediaWiki (SRE).

It's definitely something funky on the cache proxy, as they display the updated version for me (edit: it displays updated for some, but not others). I'm not certain if there's anything we could do to make sure these don't get stuck like this regularly. We should look for a long term solution, IMO.

Universal_Omega claimed this task.

All Varnish cache expires within a week. After that it becomes definitely local cache or client side not server side. I talked with paladox about this awhile ago and was given a we can't do anything about this further answer. Therefore closing as invalid since nothing we can do and they would update eventually. If someone comes up with a solution feel free to reopen though.

Void claimed this task.

On uploads and certain other actions, mediawiki should be sending a purge request to the CDNs (Varnish) that should clear the cache. The fact that this isn't happening for us would appear to be a bug.

In T7441#149792, @Void wrote:

On uploads and certain other actions, mediawiki should be sending a purge request to the CDNs (Varnish) that should clear the cache. The fact that this isn't happening for us would appear to be a bug.

That makes sense then. Thank you for looking at this!

Yeah, I've confirmed that we have some sort of issue with MediaWiki sending PURGE requests to static.miraheze.org:

Error fetching URL "https://static.miraheze.org/test3wiki/7/7f/Testing.png": (curl error: 56) Failure when receiving data from the peer

I've confirmed in graylog that this issue pops up for upload actions across multiple wikis, and can generate it using purgeList.php.