Page MenuHomeMiraheze

VE's visual problem while trying to edit with Syntax Highlighting enabled
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

Referred from this discussions on Community Noticeboard.

The wiki that the problems exist: brawlstarsviwiki
Extension that been included: VisualEditor (Syntax Highlighting feature)

Event Timeline

PiscesKazeMGR created this task.
PiscesKazeMGR moved this task from Backlog to Bugs on the MediaWiki board.

Well I don't really know
I just tried the Switching now and It worked and nothing, absolutely nothing went wrong
So @PiscesKazeMGR I don't know if you're still having trouble switching.

I also confirmed from @DarkMatterMan4500 as he's also able to Switch

Ugochimobi claimed this task.

So I guess this is invalid.

Sorry if this bothering all of you, who were been subscribers for this task.
But... First at all, this was impossible to be a connection issue. This was the speed test of my WIFI that I used to go editing.

nope.png (339×729 px, 24 KB)

Not bad at all, isn't it? (I need to hide my IP and few UI things for privacy)
And secondly, this was only been exist at the brawlstarsviwiki. I tested with another wiki that I owned - lhmnwiki. And this is was the things that the source editor should shown:
Screenshot 2021-07-12 225403.png (670×1 px, 124 KB)

That was mean, this was a local wiki problem, nor my pc or my wifi caused the issues.

@Reception123 @RhinosF1 @Universal_Omega @Bukkit You might want to check the Discussion they gave above.

Reading.

Do you have any browser extensions enabled?

Do you have any browser extensions enabled?

Nothing else from few useful things like ChongLuaDao, J2TEAM Security, GG Translate, AHA Music... Nothing else than them...

Okay, then the extensions are probably not the things conflicting with MediaWiki.

Yes. And anyway, I would like to be silent for now since this was an hard to resolve issues.
I did not call my self "pro" or some kind of "expert".

I am not sure what you mean. I am unable to reproduce this issue.

I am not sure what you mean. I am unable to reproduce this issue.

Then look likes this was going to be an local user's issue, since only me could reproduce the issue.

So then...

  1. Go to the wiki that I mentioned before.
  2. Go to an random article page on the wiki.
  3. Choose Sửa mã nguồn (Edit source in English)

The reproducing would be success if you see the content on it got blanked out, although you could highlight the blanked contents with your mouse.

PiscesMGR-diss-005.png (626×1 px, 68 KB)

NOTE: Some people got misunderstanding when they though the issue come from my Internet connection and/or the VE's switch feature. Be remember, I also tested it with another browser on my PC and I still got the same issue.

Have you tried clearing your cookies for *.miraheze.org? Which browser are you using?

Have you tried clearing your cookies for *.miraheze.org? Which browser are you using?

Brave. And yes.
That's the moment when I knew where the issues come.

The context shown properly when the Syntax Highlighting did not turned on yet.

I recorded this video below to reproduce the issue.

I can now reproduce.

This only seems to happen in the main namespace, with syntax Highlighting enabled (turning it off within VE fixes the issue for me)

Also, for example https://brawlstarsvi.miraheze.org/wiki/Brawl_Pass?action=edit works but https://brawlstarsvi.miraheze.org/w/index.php?title=Brawl_Pass&veaction=editsource does not. The difference being the veaction=editsource rather then just action=edit (both are editing in source mode also)

I can now reproduce.

This only seems to happen in the main namespace, with syntax Highlighting enabled (turning it off within VE fixes the issue for me)

Also, for example https://brawlstarsvi.miraheze.org/wiki/Brawl_Pass?action=edit works but https://brawlstarsvi.miraheze.org/w/index.php?title=Brawl_Pass&veaction=editsource does not. The difference being the veaction=editsource rather then just action=edit (both are editing in source mode also)

That's the issue I talking about!

PiscesKazeMGR renamed this task from VisualEditor's visual problem while using its source editor to VE's visual problem while trying to edit with Syntax Highlighting enabled.Fri, Jul 16, 01:42
PiscesKazeMGR updated the task description. (Show Details)

This may need to be reported upstream, but you could disable the syntax highlighting extension to temporarily fix the issue for you if you wanted.

This may need to be reported upstream, but you could disable the syntax highlighting extension to temporarily fix the issue for you if you wanted.

OK. I would change the tag for you instead.

Universal_Omega claimed this task.

Add this to MediaWiki:Common.css and it will likely fix it for you.

.ve-active > :not( .action-edit ) .ve-ce-documentNode-codeEditor-webkit-hide {
	-webkit-text-fill-color: initial;
}