Page MenuHomeMiraheze

MediaWiki performance issues
Closed, ResolvedPublic


This needs looking into ASAP (as in drop what ever you doing and look into it).

This has been a long running issue, but now is the point it just needs fixing.

Event Timeline

Paladox triaged this task as Unbreak Now! priority.Jan 15 2022, 20:54
Paladox created this task.
Unknown Object (User) added a comment.Jan 16 2022, 04:35

I've done quite a bit of work on this today, adjusting shell limits, and changing ImageMagick limits. I think it helped a bit, as load seemed to go down and numerous reports of it loading faster now. I also plan to do some additional work on this by using control groups for memory limiting to hopefully resolve some of the remaining issues as well.

Unknown Object (User) removed RhinosF1 as the assignee of this task.Jan 16 2022, 05:25
Unknown Object (User) moved this task from Backlog to Short Term on the MediaWiki (SRE) board.
Unknown Object (User) added a project: Performance.
Unknown Object (User) added a subscriber: RhinosF1.
Unknown Object (User) claimed this task.Jan 17 2022, 03:16

Most of my changes had a huge positive impact on the performance if it maintains as current for another day or so I will likely close this task as resolved.

Meta's main page loads in under 500ms consistently for me now.

Unknown Object (User) moved this task from Unsorted to Short Term on the Universal Omega board.Jan 17 2022, 03:16
Unknown Object (User) added a comment.Jan 17 2022, 03:54

Just to note this seems to have also resolved large pages not loading (resulting in 502s) as well.

Unknown Object (User) added a comment.EditedJan 17 2022, 04:05

I did alot of changes for performance, but seems to have had the most positive impact, followed by, and

I've also set some limits for shell execution, at which seems to have had a pretty positive effect on load as well.

Additionally, I made some changes to ImageMagick (, and which may or may not have had a huge impact by themselves but they couldn't have hurt.