I and @Ugochimobi are discussing a possible addition to the Miraheze farm: we would like to present this idea to ask for feedback and then discuss a few technical topics.
Our idea would be to setup a wiki with Wikibase extension activated in order to act as a common data repository for any other wiki hosted at Miraheze. This would work similarly to the way Wikidata works for the sites of the Wikimedia universe (note that data hosted at Wikidata are not accessible by wikis outside Wikimedia).
The rationale behind this is that Miraheze has a Commons wiki, corresponding to Wikimedia Commons, but it currently doesn't have a Wikidata equivalent.
So our basic questions are:
- how do you feel about this project?
- Would this something useful and well-received?
- Are there any user that can see a practical application of it right away?
- Was something like this already tried and what was the outcome?
If this project is indeed something deemed useful, then there are some technical point to address before start (something similar, but not identical, was discussed in T6041).
In order to make the direct access work in the client wikis, on this proposed Wikibase Repository two things should be setup:
- sites table should contain the link to the client wikis. In T6041 they already explained it is not an option to include external sites to the table, but I am right assuming all the Miraheze-hosted wikis are already in a shared sites table?
- again as mentioned in T6041, there are a few variables to be customized in the LocalSettings.php file of the Repository wiki: would this be possible? It is unclear whether this is something feasible or not, as the discussion in T6041 stopped before reaching a clarification on this topic.
Thanks for any comments or contribution on this proposal.