Mon, Mar 18
Not in a Git repository thus declined.
Thu, Mar 14
Wed, Mar 13
Wed, Mar 6
Tue, Mar 5
Sat, Mar 2
commands: w or who
- How would you investigate network connectivity problems between two servers?
I would ping the servers from each other and once I find the problem, open a ticket with RamNode
- What port do commands like ping and traceroute use?
afaik ping doesn’t use a port and for traceroute, the port is specified with -p
- If you had the opportunity to implement software which had to transfer data across servers, which transport layer would you use and why?
I don’t exactly know
- What would you do if Icinga reported the MySQL process on db4 as CRITICAL?
I would check the logs, and attempt to restart mariadb. If it fails, I would make sure that it goes into recovery mode
- https://meta.miraheze.org/ starts showing a 503, how would you handle it?
I would check the logs + icinga and debug from there
- Why do we have 2 certain servers in the US? What are the servers I am likely referreing to in this question?
Cp2 and bacula1. Cp2 handles US traffic
- What email authentication protocols/methods does Miraheze deploy?
- You notice suspicious activity on puppet1. After investigation you find it is not an operations member. No one else is available and you are not able to figure out how access was gained. What do you do?
I would try and strengthen security measures where possible.
- Users from Asia are reporting they can not access Miraheze. What would you do?
I would investigate and debug cp5
- A DNS request occasionally returns an out of date record. How would you debug which server was returning this?
I would check puppet on misc1 and ns1 and if needed, debug gdnsd
- How do you add a new mail account for someone?
Create a shell account on misc1 and set the password (useradd, adduser, passwd)
- Images begin to stop showing, what would you do?
Debug lizzardfs and check logs
- A large number of users begin to complain they are unable to login. What would you do?
Debug and check logs for redis
Fri, Mar 1
For security reasons we can’t change the Capatcha or its settings.
Thu, Feb 28
Things like renewing wildcard certs, tasks involving dropping DB’s
Secondly you have small amount of commits in the other repo's that need ops access.
Well I don’t have much need to commit to things like puppet if I’m not ops
You also need knowledge in puppet seeing as our entire infrastructure is around puppet and not just the software that we use.
I know enough to be able to depool cache proxies and change the configure of different services
Also what software do you use for your mail?
Dovecot and postfix
We have our icinga setup to use puppet (so you cannot manually edit a config).
Note that I’ve done PR’s to edit the icings configure before (such as notifications)
You also don't mention which tasks you could do right now with ops status.
There isn’t anything with the ops tag that I know I can do right now, but there is sometimes
Wed, Feb 27
Sun, Feb 24
@John Database task != ops task
100% not an ops task, (mw-admins can do this)
Feb 22 2019
Feb 20 2019
Feb 13 2019
Feb 12 2019
Hi, please try clearing your cache
Feb 10 2019
We can change the URL without deleting anything
Feb 8 2019
It works fine for me. Try clearing your cache.
Feb 7 2019
Declined per https://phabricator.miraheze.org/T992#17929
Feb 6 2019
Feb 5 2019
Hi, please read https://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Custom_domains (You will need to register the domain and point it to us).
Feb 1 2019
Jan 29 2019
Jan 23 2019
Jan 22 2019
Already installed by default
Jan 21 2019
Jan 19 2019
Jan 17 2019
This can be done through Special:ManageWikiNamespaces
Jan 16 2019
Because that isn’t in a git repository or on github, it can’t be installed.
Jan 15 2019
It is installed
We removed the extension due to it causing other problems for us.